Thursday, January 17, 2013

Acadia National Park ~ Silver Wolf ~ Iron John

The new moon seemed like a great time to perform ceremony. Fasting and taking the path of the Siberian dancing shaman led me deep into an altered state. Surrounded by crystals, pyramids made out of high-quality arrows, sacred art, the smoke of sage/cedar/incenses, candles, and sound-current, I danced my way into an ecstatic state. My life seemed so clear in this moment: I needed to go to Maine before I could settle in Alaska. Motivation to dance left me, and I sat. My nervous system was overloaded and my body began convulsing all over. Three visions were scarred in my brain and looped over and over. One of a screaming face, the other two I cannot quite remember. My arms twitched in a constant rhythm and I entered into a state of unknown. A place I had never been before, where control was completely out of my hands. Alice traveled down the rabbit hole, but did she ever come back. Would I ever be normal again?

Liters of water, agonizing rest, and time brought a sense of equilibrium back into my body. Dizzy, I crafted an exquisite meal, which was barely enjoyed due to the loss of synapses in my brain. Functioning at the level of a zombie, I began packing. As the night turned into the early morning, I became determined to finish the job I started. There was no plan other than to be prepared for anything. I was going to drive up the coast of Maine until I either reached The College of Atlantic or veered into the White Mountains. Gear, food, and body were ready to go by 4 am.

At 8 am, I rose, packed my truck and began the hazy journey. I arrived in Kennebunkport on the footsteps of Danielle's home around lunch time. Flowers, chocolate, wine, and Guatemalan gifts in hand, I entered her families cozy farm house. The coal stove was roaring, the kitties purring, bellies being filled, and the puppy curled in a ball. I enjoyed conversation with her family, toasted to life, boiled Reishi tea, and continued on my way. I love Danielle with all of my heart. Similar to the epic tale of Brünnhilde, I saw the ring of fire and tried to cross it, and got burned.

I spent that evening with a great buddy, fantastic chef, and wise teacher, David Levi. At this point my brain was almost non-functional. David passed on a book to me, "Iron John," written by Robert Blye. Instantly the novel had a huge impact on me. Pepped up on caffeine and delicious food, I took off towards Acadia National Park, in hopes to get some nature/hiking time in as well as visit the College of Atlantic (COA - a prospective grad program I was looking in to).

Underestimating the linearity and speed of time in relation to the setting of the sun, I arrived well after dark. I filled my belly with raw coconut chocolate and made my way to the campground on the tip of Mount Desert Island. Surrounded by cold darkness began to inspire me. I fantasized about my time in Alaska and the prospect of meeting and partnering with a Husky/wolf ally that I could travel/hunt with in AK. As I was submersed in thought, a large silver wolf gracefully emerged from the forest. Thunderstruck, I stood still waiting for his/her next move. After telepathy failed, I tried whistling and then moving. All failed and the wolf took off into the woods. Either way, my heart and hopes soared to the heavens with the prospect of spending more time with the fantastical animals that we share the earth with.

Arriving at the campground was a bit disappointing. The road was snowed in, meaning almost a mile walk to the nearest camp spot. I was prepared for this though, so I cleared the bed of my truck, laid my sleeping pad and bag out, covered the bag with a tarp and climbed in. The stars pierced the dark night sky, filling my eyes and heart with wisdom that goes way beyond my understanding. I began to fade off, but was frequently woken by gusts of cold wind. Eventually clouds rolled in and the ocean winds picked up. I pulled the tarp over my whole body and head and cocooned myself in. The set up worked pretty well, but had one major flaw: my breath caused quite a bit of condensation which rained on my sleeping bag and then froze. So at 5 am when I finally had the courage to get out of my bag, it was frozen solid.

"Iron John" speaks of initiation into manhood. We lack this tradition in most cultures today; therefore, boys rarely become real men. Tribes might take the boys away from their mothers at 12 for a year, bring them out in nature, put them through series of physical and mental tests, make them fast & drink blood, and return them with a bit of hair on their chest! Now a days, men have lost the role of the hunter, protector; instead, we thought it was better if we became softies. This forced women into a "harder" "masculine" role that she is not naturally equipped to fill. Now we are in a whole shit show where genders are foggy and no one knows what their role is. Balance is thrown way off because of this insane epidemic we created! It is time to accept the wild man that lies within every man, love it, and become real men. It is my hopes to be a part of these initiations, for myself, but also to take boys on journeys into manhood.

My time at COA was magical. An incredible campus, inspired students, great faculty, delicious food, and a great community. I sat in a few classes and wanted to rip all the hairs out of my head. I cannot be confined to the classroom anymore. I have plenty of ideas, and I am ready to put them in action.

One idea I have is: recruit a group of 11 or 12 young males, personally teach them for a semester/year, travel with them, teach them to be human beings and responsible men, share a disciplined yogic lifestyle, eat and grow delicious food, submerse ourselves in music/arts/storytelling/martial arts, learn from the earth, create a space of trust and companionship, develop compassion through service, and consciously evolve. I will continue to fine tune this idea and hopefully have a succinct business plan soon. It would be nice to receive a large amount of private funding, a large plot of land, an airplane, a 15 passenger van, and connections for food/gear for the students. If you would like to invest in this project or have ideas how I could acquire roughly 3 million dollars, please do not hesitate to contact me.   mdenicola9@gmail.com.

Blessings. Peace. Prosperity. Love. Wahe Guru!

1 comment:

  1. OK, LETS TALK YOUTH WILDERNESS BUSINESS MR. JAIDEV ! i have dreamed that story for many years. What is your; projection mission wild man vision story . i know we hold a similar vision about living wild youth, soul growth, sound healing, soul crafting, earth ritual, breathing yogis and excellent soulful powerful honest raw authentic men ! lets dream together...

    ReplyDelete