Friday, May 30, 2014

Smiling Buddha


After spending two full weeks at the Meditasi “Smiling Buddha” bungalows, I spent one of my final nights under the full moon, eating Tempeh Curry and soaking in the vibes of Live Balinese dance. Sitting in the back of the familiar restaurant, I begin to observe “The” Smiling Buddha ( As smoke billows from his seemingly endless clove cigarette, we connect eyes and he lets out a slight smile. “Open hearts and Smiles” he roars to the crowd enjoying the ambience (a term we coined together). The dance continues. The young girl dressed in traditional Balinese dress with flowers in her hair begins to gracefully move to the music. Smiling Buddha overlooks the crowd, taking his time with his smoke. “Bravo Bravo” exclaims rising up from this chair. Sarong, fire red scarf around his waste and matching shirt, with a black traditional head wrap: this man is one of a kind.
I recognized his savvy business skills and high intellect immediately. I knew I was going to stay here for an extended bit, so I tried to strike a deal with him on the 1st day. As his place is “top rated” Lonely Planet  and well reviewed, he is set in his prices (as he should be). He made it extremely clear that if I stayed two weeks or longer, he would give me around a 15% discount from the daily rate. Not a day less than two weeks. Very clear. I really like this, and I made it clear that I appreciated his clarity: like a blue diamond cutting through the clouds. Pseeew!
From that moment on, it felt like we were kin. He offered me a cup of Bali coffee and a smoke, which I declined, but we shared a few deep belly laughs. He reminds me of Trinidad Charly, an incredibly talented Hot Sauce maker in the Caribbean. These men are super Irie; always with a smoke in their hand living in a subtle state of zen. Even when these men are super deep in though, or seem concerned, they can immediately break out in spontaneous laughter or a huge grin. For me, both of these incredibly creative, talented men are a spectacle and great businessman to observe.
A handpicked posse of incredible people always seems to surround Smiling Buddha; it is like he is a bright sun with a collection of flowering planets orbiting him. While he contemplates and smokes, his well-trained, competent crew happily gets things done. A bolt of genius will strike him, or an executive decision needs to be made and Smiling Buddha will communicate it clearly. I have watched him continue to generate new ways of advertising or catching people’s eye to bring them to Meditasi. We have also discussed his future plans for development, which include a copper ceiling covered in bogeanvalia flowers for his public meditation cave.
I have witnessed Smiling Buddha build relationships and take care of his friends, employees, and guests. Everyone that works hear is always smiling, super happy to help, and seems to know exactly what their role is. It truly feels like being part of a large family who is working together to keep the space beautiful, the earth flourishing with life, and the people nourished and happy.
If the stars align, one day it would be an absolute treat to bring a group of yogis to this space to enjoy a time of chanting, yoga, meditation, healthy eating, and swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment